Friday 22 September 2017

Top 10 G1 Toys I Don't Own

As a collector who started out with Generation 1 toys back in the mid 1980s, I'm often guilty of comparing each new toyline to G1 and, despite all the engineering improvements the last thirty-odd years have brought, finding them a little wanting... Not least because so many of the more recent figures have had very simplistic - almost G1-level - transformations, with all kinds of detail faked in.

However, what with Combiner Wars, Titans Return and Power of the Primes continuing the reboot of Generation 1 that commenced with Classics back in 2006, it occurred to me that I've more or less decided no longer to pursue a number of the original Generation 1 toys I once coveted, in favour of picking up their contemporary remakes. Not so say there aren't any I still want, just that my list of 'Holy Grail' G1 TransFormers toys is now far shorter than it was only a couple of years ago.

Here, then, is a list of the Top Ten G1 TransFormers toys that I really wanted at the time, but (for the most part) don't anymore, along with why I wanted them at the time, and why I don't want them anymore... Some will be pretty self-explanatory, one way or another...

10: Grimlock
Reason: Caprice - I wanted him, then I didn't... and still don't. Grimlock became very prominent in the Marvel UK Comics, and was a far more nuanced character than the dopey lump from the cartoon. For a while, the desire to own the toy outweighed my dislike of the whole 'Dinobot' concept.
Owned Now: Yes
Version: Classics, Masterpiece & Third Party World's Smallest
Still Seeking Original G1: No
Reason: The Masterpiece is awesome... but Dinobots are still daft. Honestly not sure why I have the two other versions, but the WSTF version does feature some subtly improved engineering on the original.

9: Godbomber
Reason: Not released in UK
Owned Now: Yes
Version: TransFormers Legends (2017)
Still Seeking Original G1: No
Reason: It's a brick, and not designed to be used with the G1 Power Master Optimus Prime figure I own anyway. Takara Tomy's TFLegends version is mostly better, certainly in terms of articulation, if not stability, though the HeadMaster gimmick on that version seems pretty forced.

8: Overlord
Reason: Not released in UK Released after I'd stopped collecting (see comments)
Owned Now: Yes
Version: Generations/Titans Return (2017)
Still Seeking Original G1: No
Reason: It's bigger, though the functional Power Master gimmicks in the torso aren't necessarily a big enough draw considering the reduced articulation. Its base mode is marginally more convincing as the legs unfold to reveal extra platform sections, while the ramps and other plug-in bits and bobs add to the whole experience... but the fact that they are entirely separate pieces means they're prone to getting lost or broken (see how few complete G1 Overlord sets there are on the secondary market)

7: Perceptor
Reason: Not released in UK
Owned Now: Yes
Version: TransFormers Collection #19 (2005)
Still Seeking Original G1: No
Reason: Perceptor is one of those figures where it's difficult to find an original in a halfway decent state due to the questionable construction of the G1 toy. The Takara TF Collection re-release is adequate, though probably just as fragile as the original.

6: Blaster
Reason: Not released in UK
Owned Now: Yes
Version: TransFormers Collection #21 (2006)
Still Seeking Original G1: No
Reason: While an original G1 Blaster is more likely to be found intact, it probably won't be complete... and I've heard there are some issues with its cassette door and the buttons that release it. Again, the TF Collection version not only gave me the figure in perfect condition, but he came with Steeljaw.

5: Six Shot
Reason: Not released in UK
Owned Now: Yes
Version: Generations/Titans Return (2017)
Still Seeking Original G1: No
Reason: The Titans Return version is objectively better thanks to its improved articulation. Not sure the Titan Master gimmick adds anything to the toy, or the ability to integrate it into another toy's base mode, but I'm very happy with TR Six Shot.

4: Fortress Maximus
Reason: Not released in UK
Owned Now: No
Version: N/A
Still Seeking Original G1: No
Reason: It's just too big... Also, the Titans Return version is probably better, with its fully articulated Cerebros featuring electronic lights and sounds, even if it is just a retool of Metroplex.

3: Sky Lynx
Reason: Not released in UK
Owned Now: Yes
Version: Generations/Combiner Wars (2016)
Still Seeking Original G1: Yes, or Encore
Reason: Electronic motorised features are cool, and the Combiner Wars version suffers from both the need to be a gestalt torso and some rather shoddy/cheap construction. It also doesn't split into bird and lynx components.

2: Mirage
Reason: Limited funds, not prioritised
Owned Now: Yes
Version: Knockoff
Still Seeking Original G1: No
Reason: It's incredibly rare to find the original intact due to its dodgy waist joint. The knockoff is very high quality and all but indistinguishable from the original... though the font used on the Tech Specs is a bit dodgy.

1: Trypticon
Reason: Not released in UK
Owned Now: Yes
Version: G1/Platinum Edition (2015)
Still Seeking Original G1: No
Reason: The Platinum Edition retains the motorised features of the original (though I'd probably get the new Titans Return version if I had the space, because it looks awesome) and seems to be better constructed than some of the older Encore re-releases, which seemed to suffer from thin plastic.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent points throughout this article, though I have to correct a minor point: Overlord was released in the UK, alongside the Motorvator figures. I still cry myself to sleep at the thought that I handled the Overlord box in Toys R Us and couldn't convince my parents to give me £30 for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the correction, Anonymous Reader - much appreciated, and I'm fascinated to learn that Overlord was released over here. Looking into it - perhaps I should have researched a little more before publishing this post? - it appears he would have been available around 1991, by which point I'd long since stopped collecting due to being in the midst of my A-Levels. By that point, there weren't many decent toy shops stocking TransFormers toys, even if I had been looking...

      £30 though? Wow... I guess it may have seemed a lot back then, but that was an excellent price.

      Delete
  2. I'm still hunting for TR Overlord. I'd love the G1 version but the $$$ just isn't feesable at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck to you, Adam - let's hope Hasbro's distribution strategy improves...

      Delete